Amazing Spiced Sweet Potato Mini-Loaves
Aside from its fantastic flavor, the amazing thing about this moist quick bread is that it uses only 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil in the whole recipe. Low-fat never tasted so good!
1/2 cup cooked sweet potatoes, peeled and puréed
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup apple juice
3/4 cup raisins
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- In a large saucepan, combine sweet potatoes, brown sugar, apple juice, raisins, oil, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and allspice. Bring to a boil over high heat. Lower heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Sift together flour, soda and baking powder. Add to the cooled sweet potato mixture; stir well. Fold in walnuts.
- Spoon batter into 3 greased mini (approximately 3 x 6-inch) loaf pans.
- Bake on lowest rack in 325°F (160°C) oven for 60 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes then turn out and transfer loaves to wire rack to cool completely.
Makes 3 mini loaves or 18 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/18 of recipe): calories 160, protein 3 g, carbohydrate 31 g, fat 3 g, cholesterol 0 mg, sodium 92 mg, Vitamin A 1,083 IU.
Recipe courtesy of North Carolina Sweetpotato Commission.