Anchorage Country Store Whole Wheat Bread
A hearty whole wheat yeast bread.
4 cups whole wheat flour - divided use
1/2 cup instant nonfat dry milk powder
1 tablespoon salt
2 (0.25-ounce) envelopes active dry yeast
3 cups water - divided use
1/2 cup honey
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- Beat 3 cups whole wheat flour, dry milk powder, salt, and yeast at low speed with a heavy-duty electric mixer until combined.
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil over medium heat; add honey and butter, stirring until butter melts. Remove from heat, and stir in 1 cup cold water. (Mixture will register about 120°F | 50°C.)
- Add honey mixture to flour mixture, beating at low speed 1 minute. Increase speed to medium, and beat 2 more minutes. Gradually add remaining wheat flour and enough all-purpose flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes). Place in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°F | 30°C), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down, and divide into 2 equal portions. Roll each portion into a 15x10x1-inch rectangle. Roll each up jelly roll fashion, beginning with short end. Fold ends under, and place each, seam side down, in a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°F | 30°C), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) for 40 to 45 minutes, shielding with aluminum foil after 25 minutes to prevent excessive browning.
Makes 2 loaves.
Note: Equal amounts of whole wheat and all-purpose flour may be used.