These oat muffins are loaded with bits of apple, cheddar cheese and pecans, and for that special touch, an apple slice is dipped in butter and cinnamon-sugar and baked on top.
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
3/4 cup granulated sugar - divided use
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup quick cooking oats
2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup chopped pecans
3 apples, 1 diced, 2 thinly sliced
3/4 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a large bowl cream together shortening and 1/2 cup of the sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; mix lightly. Gradually pour into shortening mixture; beating until blended. Stir in oats, cheese, pecans and the diced apple, mixing well after each addition. Gradually add milk, stirring until all the ingredients are just moistened.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease 12 muffin tins and fill each two-thirds full of batter.
- In a shallow bowl combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon. Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat; remove from heat.
- Dip apple slices into butter; and then into cinnamon/sugar mixture. Press an apple slice into the top of each muffin. Sprinkle with any remaining cinnamon/sugar.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes 1 dozen muffins.