Apple Bran Cheddar Muffins
Start your morning off right with one of these hearty apple bran and cheddar cheese muffins.
1 cup whole bran cereal
1/4 cup milk
1 cup peeled, cored, and sliced apple (any variety)
1/3 cup canola oil
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup shredded, low-fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease one 12 cup muffin tin or line with paper liners.
- Combine the bran cereal, milk, and apples; mix well. Beat in the canola oil and egg.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Make a well in the center and stir in the wet mixture. Add the shredded cheese and mix enough until just moistened.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Cool.
Makes 12 muffins.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): 176 calories; 7 g fat; 4 g protein; 24 g carbohydrates; 19 mg cholesterol; 2 g fiber; 269 mg sodium.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wheat Foods Council.