Apple Coconut Muffins
Fresh apple and coconut come together to make this a delicious muffin! Perfect treats for breakfast, brunch and snacking.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups grated apple
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup canola oil
1/2 cup walnut pieces
3/4 cup sweetened shredded or flaked coconut
2 tablespoons canola margarine
1/3 cup shredded or flaked coconut
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease muffin pan and set aside. Combine topping ingredients in small bowl. Stir and set aside.
- In large bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In another large bowl, mix together grated apple, eggs, canola oil and walnuts. Add apple mixture to flour mixture all at once, stirring just enough to almost moisten dry ingredients. Add coconut, and stir to incorporate.
- Divide batter among muffin cups. Combine topping ingredients and drop crumbles of topping over batter.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes for regular-sized muffins and 20 to 25 minutes for large, or until tops spring back when lightly pressed and wooden skewer inserted into center of muffin comes out clean. Cool pan on wire rack 10 minutes, then turn muffins out and cool on rack until desired temperature.
Makes 12 regular and 6 large muffins.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe; 1 regular muffin): Calories 270; Fat 15g; Saturated Fat 5g; Cholesterol 40mg; Sodium 380mg; Carbohydrates 32g; Fiber 1g; Protein 4g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.