Aunty Mary's Buns
Aunty Mary's buns received Honorable Mention for the Be a Star! Be a Winner! with Canola Oil Paralympics Recipe Contest. Recipe submitted by Donna of Eriksdale, Canada.
2 teaspoons instant yeast
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups warm water
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup canola oil
3 cups additional flour
Extra canola oil for covering dough
- In large bowl, combine yeast, sugar, flours and salt. Make well in the center of flour mixture. Add warm water, eggs and canola oil. Mix well. Then add additional flour in increments, up to 3 cups, and enough to form soft dough. Knead dough about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Cover dough and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes in warm place.
- Punch down, knead again for a few minutes; rub dough down with light layer of canola oil. Cover and let rest until time to form buns.
- Divide dough into 18 equal pieces and form into buns. Place on oiled or parchment lined baking sheet. Brush (or spray) buns with light coating of canola oil. Cover and let rise in until double in size.
- Bake buns at 350°F (175°C) for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
Makes 18 buns.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/18 of recipe): Calories 200; Total Fat 7g; Saturated Fat 0.5g; Cholesterol 25mg; Sodium 140mg; Carbohydrates 29g; Fiber 3g; Protein 5g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.