Babka - Bread Machine Recipe
This traditional bread-like cake originally hails from Poland. Be sure to give yourself a good head start time-wise by starting preparation several hours ahead or even the day before.
1 1/4 cups (3/4 pound) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sour cream
3 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon rum extract
1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
1/4 teaspoon orange extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups bread flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons active dry yeast
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar, packed
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup raisins or currants (or combination of both)
1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries (optional)
1 cup chopped almonds, pecans or walnuts
1 large egg beaten with 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
Powdered sugar for dusting
- Place dough ingredients into bread machine pan in the order given or according to the manufacturer. Set machine for Dough Cycle and press Start. Once cycle has started, check to see that all ingredients are being incorporated well, giving it a little help as needed.
- When cycle is complete, place dough in a well-greased bowl, turning over once, and cover. Refrigerate a minimum of 4 hours to overnight.
- Gently deflate dough. On a lightly floured work surface, roll dough into a large, thin rectangle.
- Combine ingredients for filling and sprinkle evenly over dough. Roll up (as for jelly roll) and place in a well-greased tube pan.
- Brush with egg wash and make slits on top with a razor or sharp paring knife. Cover lightly with plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until done. Cool for 10 to 15 minutes in pan on wire rack before removing. Cool completely on wire rack. Dust generously with powdered sugar before serving.
Makes 12 servings.