Bacon and Onion Muffins
Serve these savory bacon and onion muffins with a bowl of soup, stew or chili. Or, as accompaniment with breakfast or brunch.
1/2 pound bacon, diced
1/4 cup onion, chopped
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, beaten
1/3 cup milk
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon sesame seed
- Fry diced bacon until crisp. Remove and drain. Sauté chopped onion in bacon drippings until tender, but do not brown. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine beaten eggs, milk, and sour cream in a small bowl; blend well. Add at once to dry ingredients, stirring just enough to moisten. Stir in bacon and sautéed onion. Spoon batter into greased muffin tins, filling two-thirds full. Sprinkle with sesame seed.
- Bake in a 375°F (190°C) oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven. Let completely cool.
Makes 12 muffins.