Bacon and Sweet Potato Biscuits with Smoky Honey Butter
These extraordinary biscuits simply burst with flavor and are sure to become a family-favorite.
2 slices bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips
1 medium orange-fleshed sweet potato, or 2 small sweet potatoes (14 to 16 ounces total), peeled
2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon allspice
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes and chilled
1 cup buttermilk
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 tablespoons honey
- Wrap the sweet potato with a damp paper towel and microwave on high until very soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, mash with a potato masher, and set aside to cool. Meanwhile, in a medium skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until golden and crisp, about 8 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate, then set aside to cool. Carefully set aside 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings from the skillet.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, salt, and allspice and pulse a few times. Add the cubed butter and pulse to make a coarse meal with a few pea-sized pieces. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and gently mix in the bacon, buttermilk, and 1 cup of the mashed sweet potato (save any remaining potato for another use).
- Transfer mixture to a floured work surface and knead a few times to form a dough. Pat the dough to about 1-inch thick, then gently fold in half. Gently repeat 4 more times. Roll the dough out to 3/4-inch thick, then use a floured 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter to cut dough into biscuits, arranging them on the prepared baking sheet. Gather the scraps and repeat to make a total of 12 biscuits. Bake until the biscuits are browned and a tester comes out clean, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the softened butter, honey, and reserved bacon drippings, mixing until smooth. Add salt to taste.
- Serve the biscuits with the honey butter on the side.
Makes 12 biscuits.
- If you’d like, you can substitute the flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt for 3 cups biscuit mix.
- Split biscuits in half horizontally and add sliced ham for a savory sandwich.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1 biscuit and 2 1/2 teaspoons honey butter): 260 calories; Protein: 4 grams; Fat: 17 grams; Sodium: 370 milligrams; Cholesterol: 45 milligrams; Saturated Fat: 10 grams; Carbohydrates: 24 grams.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of National Pork Board.