Banana-Date Orange-Scented Muffins
These muffins are chock-full of wholesomeness like oats, bananas and dates, scented with both cinnamon and orange peel.
1 1/2 cups quick or old fashioned oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup chopped dates
3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 medium)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Line twelve medium muffin cups with paper baking cups or lightly grease bottoms only.
- In large bowl, combine oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and dates; mix well.
- In medium bowl, combine buttermilk, banana, egg, oil and orange peel; blend well. Add to dry ingredients all at once; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not overmix.)
- Fill muffin cups almost full.
- Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Cool muffins in pan on wire rack 5 minutes; remove from pan.
Makes 12 muffins.