A hearty, yeast-raised whole wheat and
bran bread made with wheat germ, banana and figs.
- 1 (1/4-ounce) package active dry yeast
or 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
2 1/2 cups all-purpose or bread flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup bran flake cereal
1/3 cup powdered milk
2 tablespoons wheat germ
1 teaspoon salt
1 banana, sliced
3/4 cup figs, chopped
2 large egg whites
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons malt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dissolve yeast in warm water; set aside.
- In a bowl combine flour, whole wheat flour,
bran, powdered milk, wheat germ, salt, sliced banana, chopped
figs, egg whites, oil, malt, and vanilla. Allow to rise, covered,
in a warm place for 2 hours.
- Punch down; place in a greased loaf pan,
and allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 20 to
30 minutes, or until golden brown.
Makes 1 loaf.
Rate and submit your comments
about this recipe below.