Basic All-Purpose Baking Mix
A basic homemade baking mix to have on hand for the convenience of saving prep time in the kitchen. It has many uses, including being the base for making biscuits, pancakes, waffles, dumplings and recipes calling for biscuit or baking mix.
6 cups all purpose flour
3 tablespoons baking powder
1 tablespoon salt
1 1/4 cups vegetable shortening (butter-flavored or plain)
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut in shortening with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse corn meal. Store in a container with tight-fitting lid. Will keep for up to 2 months.
Makes about 2 quarts.
Recipes using the Baking Mix:
- For Biscuits: Stir together 2 1/4 cups baking mix with 2/3 cup milk. Knead 10 times on lightly floured surface, roll out and cut into biscuits or skip the kneading and simply drop dough onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake in a preheated oven at 425°F (220°C) for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Makes about 10 biscuits.
- For Pancakes: Stir together 2 cups baking mix, 1 cup milk and 2 eggs until blended. Do not over-mix. Ladle 1/4 cupfuls onto hot greased griddle or skillet and cook until edges are dry and top is bubbly, turn over and cook until golden brown. Makes about 14 pancakes.
- For Waffles: Stir together 2 cups baking mix, 1 1/3 cups milk, 1 egg and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil until blended. Pour batter into center of hot greased waffle iron and cook for 5 minutes or until steaming stops. Makes about 12 (4-inch) waffles.
- For Dumplings: Stir together 2 cups baking mix and 2/3 cup milk just until soft dough forms. Drop by spoonfuls into boiling liquid, cover and cook for 10 minutes without lifting the lid. Makes about 10 dumplings.
Tip: For Buttermilk Baking Mix, add 9 tablespoons dry buttermilk powder to the basic mix.