Basic Pizza Dough
A good recipe for basic pizza crust. Make a double batch and freeze the extra dough to use another time.
1 (0.25-ounce) package active dry yeast or 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups all-purpose flour - divided use
- Dissolve yeast in warm water (105°F to 115°F | 40°C to 45°C); stir in oil and salt. Beat with an electric mixer at low speed for 1 minute, scraping the sides of the bowl often. Continue beating for another 3 minutes at high speed.
- Fold in 2 1/2 cups flour.
- Dust a work surface with flour and knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Grease a bowl and top of dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled.
- Coat pizza pan with a dab of oil or cornmeal to prevent crust from sticking. Punch down and spread dough into pizza pan.
- Add toppings and bake according to pizza recipe directions.
Makes 1 large pizza.