A good basic recipe for homemade bread rolls.
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon warm water
1 (0.25-ounce) packet active dry yeast, or 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 large egg
3 1/2 cups all-purpose or bread flour
- Place sugar, butter and salt in a medium bowl. Scald milk (heat milk over low heat until small bubbles form around the edge of the pan; the temperature should read 180°F to 190°F | 85°C to 90°C). Pour milk over sugar mixture and stir to combine. Set aside to cool to lukewarm.
- Meanwhile, combine yeast in a small bowl with warm water (105°F to 115°F | 40°C to 45°C). Add egg and mix together slightly. Pour into the milk mixture and stir together.
- Add flour; stir until well mixed and soft dough forms. Cover dough with a plate or towel and set aside to rise until double in bulk, about 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a muffin pan; set aside.
- Punch down dough and knead briefly on a floured surface, adding more flour as needed to prevent sticking. Knead dough until springy and easily handled.
- To form cloverleaf rolls, divide dough into small pieces, shape into little balls, about 1 inch in diameter. Place 3 balls in each section of muffin pan.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
Makes 12 rolls.