These easy, delicious bread rolls are baked in muffin tins.
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/2 cup warm water
1 (0.25-ounce) package active dry yeast or 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
2 teaspoons salt
3 3/4 cups all-purpose or bread flour
- In a large bowl dissolve 1 teaspoon sugar in warm water. Sprinkle in yeast and let stand for 10 minutes, then stir well.
- In a saucepan combine milk, 1/4 cup sugar, shortening, and salt. Heat until lukewarm and shortening is melted. Add to yeast mixture, gradually add 2 3/4 cups flour and beat vigorously until smooth. Gradually stir up to 1 cup flour to make a soft dough. Cover and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Fill greased muffin cups about half full then let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake in a 375°F (190°C) oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden. Turn out of the muffin tin immediately.
Makes 36 rolls.