Best Banana Bread
Delicious, moist and flavorful banana bread with walnuts, sweet spices, vanilla and almond extracts and a hint of orange.
4 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
4 large eggs
1 3/4 cups brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 cups butter, melted
2 cups mashed ripe bananas
Finely grated peel of 1 fresh orange
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Grease two 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pans; set aside.
- In large bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and, if desired, walnuts; set aside.
- In another large mixing bowl beat eggs until light and frothy. Add sugar and melted butter, mixing well. Stir in mashed banana, grated peel, vanilla and almond extracts.
- Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture and stir just to combine. Do not over mix.
- Spoon batter evenly into prepared pans and bake for 1 hour, or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before removing from pan. Cool on wire rack. Wrap tightly to store.
Makes 2 loaves.