Best Ever Muffins
Start with this basic muffin recipe and add one of several different ingredients for a variety of different muffins.
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup white granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large bowl. Make a well in the center.
- In a small bowl or 2-cup measuring cup, beat egg with a fork. Stir in milk and oil. Pour all at once into the well in the flour mixture. Mix quickly and lightly with a fork until moistened, but do not beat. Gently stir in a variation listed below, if desired. The batter will be lumpy.
- Pour the batter into paper muffin pan cups and bake for 25 minutes or until golden.
Makes 12 muffins.
- Blueberry Muffins: Add 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Raisin Muffins: Add 1 cup finely chopped raisins
- Date Muffins: Add 1 cup finely chopped dates
- Cheese Muffins: Fold in 1 cup grated, sharp yellow cheese
- Bacon Muffins: Fold in 1/4 cup crisp, cooked bacon, broken into bits
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): 181 calories; 3 g protein; 30 g carbohydrate; 6 g fat; 235 mg sodium; 19 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber.
Recipe provided courtesy of Kansas Wheat Commission.