Blueberry-Lemon Corn Muffins
Enjoy these lemon-kissed blueberry cornmeal muffins hot from the oven with any meal of the day. Recipe courtesy of Florida Agriculture Bureau of Seafood and Aquaculture.
Paper Muffin Cup Liners
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup yellow corn meal
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
1/2 cup whole milk
2 large egg yolks
1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C) and line six 1/3-cup muffin cups with paper liners. Melt butter and cool.
- Into a large bowl sift together flour and baking powder and whisk in cornmeal, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, lemon zest, and a generous pinch salt.
- In a bowl whisk together melted butter, milk, and yolks and add to flour mixture with half of blueberries, gently stirring until just combined.
- Divide batter evenly among cups (batter will fill cups) and press remaining blueberries into tops of muffins. Sprinkle tops of muffins evenly with remaining tablespoon of granulated sugar.
- Bake muffins in middle of oven about 15 minutes, or until tops are golden and a tester comes out clean. Remove muffins from cups and cool on a rack. Muffins keep in an airtight container at room temperature 2 days.
Makes 6 muffins.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Florida Agriculture Bureau of Seafood and Aquaculture.