Blueberry Muffins with Salted Honey Crumble
Created by Chef David Guas, this recipe for blueberry muffins topped with a salted honey crumble is quite simply incredible!
Salted Honey Crumble:
1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
4 tablespoons clover honey
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
3 tablespoons honey (use a mild, light varietal)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
2 cups fresh blueberries
- For Salted Honey Crumble: In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the brown sugar, butter, clover honey and vanilla; beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the flour and salt. Mix on low speed just until the mixture comes together and develops a sandy texture. Refrigerate in an airtight container for at least 30 minutes.
- For Blueberry Muffins: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease or butter regular-sized 12-cup muffin tin and dust with flour (or line with cupcake liners); set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together sugar, butter, honey and vanilla. Add eggs one at a time and mix well; stir in milk. Add the dry ingredients and mix on low just until combined.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and gently fold in blueberries using a rubber spatula.
- Scoop the mixture into the prepared muffin cups, filling them about three-fourths full. Sprinkle each top with 1 tablespoon of the salted honey crumble.
- Bake on the center rack of oven until golden, about 30 to 35 minutes.
Makes 12 muffins.
Recipe created by Chef David Guas, Owner of Bayou Bakery, Coffee Bar & Eatery in Arlington, VA.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the National Honey Board.