Bran Muffins with Streusel Topping
These hearty, fiber-rich muffins are made moist and flavorful with grated carrot, raisins, molasses and cinnamon.
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/2 cups bran flakes cereal
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 large egg whites
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup raisins
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 tablespoons cold butter
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Grease and flour a 12-cup muffin tin or line with paper liners.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and spices. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine bran flakes and milk. Let stand 3 to 4 minutes or until cereal softens. Add brown sugar, egg whites, oil, vanilla and raisins. Mix well. Add flour mixture, stirring only until moistened.
- In a small bowl for the topping, combine flour and brown sugar; cut in butter until crumbly.
- Fill prepared muffin tins two-thirds full. Sprinkle topping over muffins.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool in pan on wire rack.
Makes 12 muffins.