A golden, French cake-like pastry with a high egg and butter content giving it a rich and tender crumb.
1 (0.25-ounce) packet active dry yeast, or 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- In a small bowl dissolve yeast in warm water. Set aside.
- Cream butter, 1/3 cup sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Fold in flour and scalded. Beat in egg yolks and remaining whole eggs; mix well. Add softened yeast. Fold in remaining flour and beat for 5 to 8 minutes, or until very smooth. Cover; let rise for 2 hours, or until doubled in size.
- Punch dough down and chill, tightly covered, for 8 hours.
- Punch dough down. Spoon into a greased tube pan. Cover and let rise another 2 hours, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a small bowl whip egg whites and remaining sugar, brush top of dough.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until brown. Cool on a wire rack.
Makes 16 servings.