Candy Cane Coffee Cakes
These jolly candy cane shaped loaves make wonderful, homemade Christmas gifts.
1 (0.25-ounce) package active dry yeast
3/4 cup water (110°F to 115°F | 45°C)
1/2 cup warm milk (110°F to 115°F | 45°C)
4 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 teaspoons salt
7 to 7 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped hazelnuts
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup raisins
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 cups powdered sugar
3 to 4 tablespoons warm milk
1 tablespoon butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water and milk. Add eggs, sugar, butter, salt and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6 to 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- For filling, combine nuts, brown sugar, raisins and cinnamon; set aside.
- Punch dough down and divide into fourths. Roll one portion into a 12 x 7-inch rectangle. brush with some butter; sprinkle with 2/3 cup filling. Roll up, jelly roll-style, starting with a long side; pinch to seal. Place on a greased baking sheet; shape top to form a cane. Repeat with remaining dough, filling and butter. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 35 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks.
- Combine the first five glaze ingredients; drizzle stripes over loaves. Sprinkle with nuts.
Makes 4 loaves.