This is an excellent bread, nice and moist, similar in texture to pumpkin or zucchini bread. Melon flavor ends up to be very delicate, nearly masked by the spices. Great way to use up extra homegrown cantaloupe in summer. Purée and freeze extra in 2 cup containers for use throughout the year.
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup nuts, chopped
3 large eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups granulated sugar
3 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Grease a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan; set aside.
- In large bowl combine flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and nuts; set aside.
- In another large mixing bowl beat eggs until light and frothy. Add oil, sugar and vanilla, mixing well.
- Cut rind from cantaloupe; cut melon into 2-inch chunks and purée in blender or food processor until smooth. Measure 2 cups purée and add to egg/oil mixture.
- Add the flour mixture to the cantaloupe mixture and stir just to combine. Do not over mix.
- Spoon into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour, or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before removing from pan. Cool on wire rack. Wrap tightly to store.
Makes 1 loaf.