Carrot Cinnamon Raisin Bread
A recipe for Carrot Cinnamon Raisin Bread prepared with a bread machine.
1 1/4 cups raisins
2 cups shredded parboiled carrots
1 1/2 cups warm water (or water reserved from boiled carrots)
2 tablespoons active dry yeast
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
5 cups unbleached bread flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons orange zest
1/4 teaspoon orange oil (optional)
1/3 cup toasted chopped walnuts (optional)
Melted butter, cream or milk for glazing
Sugar and cinnamon for garnish
- Place raisins in a 2 to 4 cup measure and pour boiling water to cover over the raisins. Allow raisins to plump, then drain liquid thoroughly and dry any excess moisture with paper toweling.
- Place all ingredients except the carrots, raisins and nuts in bread machine and process on Dough cycle. If needed, add more flour or water to adjust dough consistency as cycle begins. Add carrots and raisins during last 3 or 4 minutes of cycle, or when signaled by the second beeping. Allow for initial rise in the machine, or remove dough after kneading and allow to double in a greased, covered bowl.
- Generously grease one 10 x 5-inch loaf pan or two 8x4x2-inch pans. Form dough into a loaf and place in large pan, or divide dough evenly between the two smaller pans. Brush tops with melted butter or cream or milk, then sprinkle with sugar and dust lightly with cinnamon.
- Cover pan(s) lightly and let rise until almost doubled.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Place pan(s) onto a baking sheet and bake until the top(s) begin to brown, about 35 to 40 minutes. Cool 10 minutes on wire rack, then remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack. Wrap tightly to store.
Makes 1 large or 2 smaller loaves.