Cheddar Bread Ring
A delicious yeast bread made with cheddar cheese and baked in a tube pan.
1 1/2 cups bread or all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 (0.25-ounce) package active dry yeast
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons butter
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup bread or all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl combine 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, and salt together. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan heat milk and butter together until very warm. Gradually add to dry ingredients and beat at medium speed with an electric mixer for 2 minutes, scraping the bowl occasionally. Add whole wheat flour and shredded cheddar cheese. Beat for 2 minutes on high speed, scraping the bowl occasionally. Stir in remaining flour to make a stiff but light dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 to 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with a towel that has been soaked in hot water and then wrung out until almost dry. Let the dough rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down and turn out on a lightly floured surface and shape into a 20-inch rope. Form in a buttered ring mold (or tube pan), pinching the ends together. Cover and let rise in warm place until nearly doubled in bulk, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F (175°C) oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the ring mold.
Makes 1 loaf.