Sugar-topped, lemon-scented muffins loaded with cherries and pecans.
1/2 cup softened unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar, plus extra for sprinkling atop muffins
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cups fresh cherries, pitted and chopped, or 1 (12-ounce) package frozen cherries, defrosted and chopped
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Grease muffin tin or line with muffin papers. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- With electric mixer, cream butter and 1 cup sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla, then egg.
- Sift 2 cups flour with baking powder and salt. Stir flour mixture into butter mixture in batches alternating with milk.
- Fold in cherries, lemon zest and pecans. Batter will be thick. Spoon into muffin tin, filling each cup halfway. Sprinkle tops with a little sugar.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes, then remove from pan and finish cooling on baking rack. These may be frozen.
Makes 12 muffins.