Chocolate Chip Scones
Recipe courtesy of The Incredible Edible Egg™.
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, cold, cut into pieces
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
4 large eggs
1/2 cup milk or half-and-half
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add chocolate chips; toss to mix.
- Beat eggs and milk in medium bowl until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir with a fork just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Knead dough a few strokes on lightly floured surface; pat to 3/4-inch thickness. Cut dough into rounds with lightly floured 3-inch cutter; place on greased baking sheet. Gather scraps and repeat to use all dough.
- Bake in 425°F (220°C) oven until golden brown, about 10 minutes Cool on wire rack.
Makes 12 scones.
- Scones are best eaten warm. Serve with butter or créme fraîche and your favorite preserves.
- Substitute half-and-half or light cream for the milk.
- Add 1/4 cup finely chopped toasted pecans or walnuts or 2 to 3 teaspoons freshly grated orange peel to the dry ingredients.
- Before baking, brush tops lightly with milk or cream and sprinkle with sugar.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories: 314; Total Fat: 15g; Saturated Fat: 9g; Cholesterol: 102mg; Total Carbs: 39g; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 6g; Sodium: 188mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Incredible Edible Egg™.