Cinnamon Swirl Bread
Use your bread machine to do the work of making the dough for this delicious sweet yeast bread with an inner cinnamon swirl.
1 cup water
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
3 1/4 cups unbleached bread flour
1/4 cup powdered milk
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 large egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water (for egg wash)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 cup raisins or currants
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter
- Place dough ingredients in bread machine pan in the order suggested by manufacturer.
- Select Dough setting and start machine. Keep a close eye on the process, helping to incorporate all ingredients, if necessary.
- Once cycle is complete, remove dough and on a lightly oiled work surface and roll dough into a long, thin rectangle, about 16 x 8-inches. Brush the dough with some of the beaten egg.
- Combine the filling ingredients, and sprinkle evenly onto the dough and pat down gently. Beginning with a short edge, roll the dough into a log. Pinch the side seam and ends closed (to keep the filling from bubbling out), and place the log in a lightly greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan. Cover the pan with lightly greased plastic wrap, and allow the bread to rise for about 1 hour.
- For the topping, combine the flour, sugar and cinnamon together. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Brush the loaf with some or all of remaining egg wash, and then sprinkle the topping evenly over the loaf.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until tested done when a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 7 to 10 minutes and remove from pan carefully. Some topping will be lost during this process. Cool completely on wire rack before wrapping to store.
Make 1 loaf.