Extremely popular in the southern United States, corn pone is an eggless cornbread that is shaped into small ovals and fried or baked.
2 cups white corn meal
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups cold water (or enough to make a soft mixture that can be spooned like pancake batter)
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 475°F (245°C).
- Mix corn meal, salt and water.
- Heat oil in a 9-inch round iron skillet in the hot oven until hot.
- Carefully spread mixture evenly in hot skillet and spoon some of the fat that comes to the edges up on top of the batter.
- Place skillet in oven and bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Optional: Broil for the last 2 to 3 minutes to make it extra golden brown and crispy around the edges.
Makes 8 servings.