Delicious sweet rolls filled with the warm spices, apples, cranberries, walnuts and oats, and drizzled with simple powdered sugar glaze.
1 1/2 to 2 cups all-purpose flour - divided use
2/3 cup quick or old fashioned oats
1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 (0.25-ounce) package bread machine or quick-rising yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup warm milk or water
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
5 tablespoons butter, melted
1/3 cup quick or old fashioned oats
2 teaspoons apple pie spice or ground cinnamon
1/3 cup chopped dried apples
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 to 3 teaspoons milk
- For rolls: Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, oats, brown sugar, yeast and salt in large mixing bowl. Add warm milk (110 to 115ºF / 45ºC), butter and egg; beat at medium speed 2 minutes. Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough that pulls away from sides of bowl. Knead dough on lightly floured surface 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic, lightly sprinkling work surface and hands with additional flour if dough is sticky. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and prepare filling.
- For filling: Combine walnuts, brown sugar, butter, oats and apple pie spice in small bowl; mix well. Reserve 1/3 cup; set aside. Add apples and cranberries to remaining oat mixture; mix well.
- Lightly grease 8 or 9-inch square baking pan.
- On lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 16 x 8-inch rectangle. Sprinkle apple mixture evenly over dough; press firmly into dough. Starting at long end, roll dough up tightly; pinch seam to seal. Cut dough crosswise into twelve slices. Place slices, cut side down, in prepared pan. Cover. Let rolls rise in warm place until almost doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Combine reserved 1/3 cup oat mixture with remaining 1 tablespoon flour; sprinkle evenly over rolls.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes in pan on wire rack.
- For Drizzle: Combine powdered sugar and enough milk for desired consistency. Drizzle over top of warm rolls.
- Serve warm.
Makes 12 rolls.
Bread Machine Directions: For rolls: Place 1 1/2 cups flour, oats, brown sugar, yeast, salt, milk, butter and egg (at room temperature) to bread machine in order recommended by manufacturer. Use machine's dough/manual cycle to mix and knead. Turn dough out of machine onto lightly floured surface. If necessary, knead in enough additional flour to make dough easy to handle. Follow directions above to complete.