Cranberry Angelfood Muffins
These make a delightful addition to a fall or winter brunch menu.
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar - divided use
1 1/2 cups egg whites
1 1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 orange, grated rind only
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped in a food processor by pulsing
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a muffin pan with 12 cupcake liners.
- Sift the flour with 2 tablespoons of the sugar, three times.
- In a mixer with a whisk attachment begin to whip the whites on low until they are foamy and look a little like a bubble bath. Add the cream of tartar and salt and then continue whipping on medium speed, then start to gradually add the remaining cup of sugar and whip till soft peaks form when you remove the whisk.
- With a rubber spatula fold in the sifted flour/sugar mixture until almost incorporated then fold in the vanilla and grated orange rind, and the chopped cranberries.
- Fill the cupcake liners 3/4 full with batter.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool before serving.
Makes 12 muffins.
Recipe provided courtesy of Macy's Culinary Council chef, Gale Gand; through ECES, Inc., Electronic Color Editorial Services.