Delicious scones flavored with orange peel and golden dates. For a more flavor, add a good dash of ground cinnamon.
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
1/2 cup chopped and pitted dates
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
4 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease and flour a baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl blend together flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda; mix well. Add chopped butter and using a pastry blender or two knives scissor-fashion, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add chopped dates and orange peel in the flour/butter mixture. Make sure you separate and blend dates well, as they have a tendency 'to stick together'.
- In a small bowl mix the buttermilk and egg together, add to the flour/butter/date mixture.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface. Add flour as you knead the dough, if necessary. Knead 12 to 15 strokes or until nearly smooth.
- Use preferred method to shape:
- For Scones: Shape into an 8-inch dome. Using a serrated knife , score the dough into 8 wedges ( do not cut all the way through the dough).
- For Biscuits: Shape into a circle maintaining a thickness of about 1/2-inch. Cut into dough with a biscuit cutter, cut dough into 2-inch circles, reworking the scrapings as you go.
- Place scones/biscuits on cookie sheet; bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until they reach a golden brown color. Remove from oven, place on cooling rack and drizzle with icing while still warm.
- Icing: In a small bowl mix sugar with orange juice. Mix until sugar has dissolved. Brush over scones using a pastry brush.
Makes 8 scones.