Double-Quick Dinner Rolls
These homemade dinner rolls are easy to make and will fill your home with the wonderful aroma of bread baking.
3 1/4 cups all-purpose or bread flour - divided use
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 (0.25-ounce) package active dry yeast or 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1 large egg
2 tablespoons butter
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 1/4 cups flour, sugar, salt and yeast. Make a well in the center and add warm water (115°F to 120°F / 45°C to 50°C), egg and butter. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until smooth. Stir in remaining 2 cups flour and mix well. Dough should be soft and elastic. Scrape sides of bowl, cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Lightly flour a work surface and knead dough for about 2 minutes. Press into a 12 x 6-inch rectangle and cut into 18 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a smooth ball and place on baking sheets. Cover and allow to rise in a warm place until almost doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- If desired, brush tops of rolls with an egg white mixed with a little water.
- Bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve warm.
Makes 18 dinner rolls.