Bake up a batch of these festive gingerbread muffins and fill your home with the aroma of ginger and spice and every thing nice!
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 large egg
1/4 cup applesauce
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup boiling water
Turbinado (raw) sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour a 12-cup muffin tin or line with paper liners.
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg in a medium bowl; make a well in the center.
- In another bowl, beat egg, applesauce, oil, molasses and sugar, mixing well. Pour mixture into well. Mix batter until just moistened; add water and mix until just blended.
- Fill prepared muffin tins two-thirds full. Sprinkle lightly with sugar.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool in pan on wire rack.
Makes 12 muffins.