Glazed Orange-Oat Muffins
Tender, moist oat muffins with glistening orange and honey-dipped tops.
1 cup quick or old fashioned oats
2/3 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon orange juice - divided use
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons honey - divided use
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons grated orange peel - divided use
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Line 12 medium muffin cups with paper baking cups or grease bottoms only with vegetale shortening.
- Combine oats, buttermilk, 1/2 cup orange juice, 1/4 cup honey, oil and 1 1/2 teaspoons orange peel in large bowl; stir well. Let stand 10 minutes. Stir in egg until blended.
- Combine flour, wheat germ, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl; mix well. Add to oat mixture all at once; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not overmix.)
- Fill muffin cups three-fourths full.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it. Cool muffins in pan on wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool 10 minutes.
- For Glaze: stir together remaining 2 tablespoons honey, 1 teaspoon orange juice and 1/2 teaspoon orange peel in custard cup.
- Dip tops of muffins into honey mixture allowing excess to drip off. Serve warm.
Makes 12 muffins.