Hot Cross Biscuits
A quick take on traditional hot cross buns, these festive biscuits are bursting with goodness from oats, currants and spices.
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup quick or old fashioned oats
2 tablespoons brown sugar, firmly packed
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup currants or raisins
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 to 3 teaspoons whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Lightly grease baking sheet.
- Combine flour, 1 cup oats, brown sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt in a large bowl; mix well. Cut in 5 tablespoons butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in currants and orange peel. Add buttermilk; stirring with fork just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface; knead gently 6 to 8 times. Pat dough into circle 1/2-inch thick. Cut with floured 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter. Place on prepared cookie sheet. Brush tops with melted butter.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove to wire rack; cool 5 minutes.
- For Icing: Mix together 1/2 cup powdered sugar and enough cream to make a thick icing; drizzle in a cross shape over each biscuit. Serve warm.
Makes 12 biscuits.