Hot Roll Bran Bread
A hearty, bran-enriched yeast bread.
1 cup bran flakes
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 cup boiling water
1 (0.25-ounce) package active dry yeast or 2 1/4 teaspoons
1/4 cup warm water
2 cups all-purpose or bread flour
2 large eggs
- In a small bowl, combine bran flakes, wheat germ, salt, butter, honey, and boiling water; mix well, then set aside to cool.
- Soften yeast in warm water. Combine the yeast mixture with flour, the bran mixture, and eggs. Form into a soft dough adding flour or hot water as necessary. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Shape into a greased loaf pan, cover, and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until done. Remove from the pan immediately and cool on a wire rack.
Makes 1 loaf.