Homemade yeast dinner rolls.
2 (0.25-ounce) packages active dry yeast or 4 1/2 teaspoons
2 1/2 cups warm water - divided use
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, beaten
2 teaspoons salt
7 cups all-purpose or bread flour
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup of the warm water (105°F to 115°F | 40°C to 45°C); set aside to proof.
- In a medium bowl cream together shortening and sugar. Add egg and salt.
- Add yeast mixture and remaining 2 cups warm water. Mix in enough flour, up to 7 cups, to make a soft dough. Place in a large greased bowl; turning once to coat. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Grease a baking sheet.
- Form dough into rolls and place on baking sheet; cover and let rise in warm place until double, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Bake rolls until golden, about 15 minutes.
Makes 36 rolls.