Italian Pesto Crescent Rolls
Homemade yeast bread crescent rolls with Parmesan cheese and a basil pesto filling.
2 to 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour - divided use
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 (0.25-ounce) package quick-rising yeast, or 2 1/4 teaspoons
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon fennel or anise seeds, coarsely crushed
3/4 cup water
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup purchased basil pesto
- Combine 2 cups flour, cheese, sugar, yeast, salt and fennel in a large bowl and mix well.
- In small saucepan, heat water and oil until very warm (120°F to 130°F / 50°C to 55°C). Add to flour mixture.
- Stir by hand until dry ingredients are moistened; gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Roll dough into 10-inch circle.
- Cut into 12 wedges. Spread about 1 teaspoon pesto across each wedge. Roll up tightly from wide end.
- Place rolls seam side down on a lightly greased baking sheet; gently push ends down to form crescent shape. Cover; let rise in warm place 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until light golden brown. Serve warm.
Makes 12 crescent rolls.
Bread Machine Directions: Place 2 1/2 cups flour, cheese, sugar, 2 1/4 teaspoons bread machine or quick-rising yeast, salt, fennel, water and olive oil in bread machine pan in the order recommended by manufacturer. Select dough/manual cycle. When cycle is complete, remove dough from machine to lightly floured surface. Proceed as recipe directs.