Italian Prune Nut Bread
A lemon-scented sweet quick bread made with fresh Italian prunes. Fresh plums may be used in place of the prunes.
1 cup butter or margarine
2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon each salt and cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup plain yogurt
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
2 cups diced Washington Italian prunes or plums, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
1 cup chopped nuts
- Cream butter, sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Sift together flour, salt, cream of tartar and baking soda.
- Blend yogurt and lemon peel; add to creamed mixture alternately with dry ingredients. Stir until well-blended. Add chopped fruit and nuts; mix well.
- Divide mixture between 2 greased and floured 9 x 5 x 2 1/2-inch loaf pans.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) 50 to 55 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean.
Makes 2 loaves.
Recipe provided courtesy of Washington State Fruit Commission.