Jean's Refrigerator Bran Muffins
Refrigerator muffins are all about making the batter ahead and baking a batch when you're ready to enjoy a warm, fresh muffin.
2 cups boiling water
2 cups bran
1 cup vegetable shortening
3 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs
1 quart buttermilk
5 cups all-purpose flour
5 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups bran flakes
- In a bowl, pour boiling water over bran, mix well, and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- In another bowl, cream shortening with sugar. Add eggs, buttermilk, and the bran mixture. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the creamed mixture with bran flakes.
- Store tightly in the refrigerator. Bake as needed.
- Fill a greased muffin tin or cupcake liners half full.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
Makes 5 dozen muffins.