Jumbo Streusel-Topped Blueberry Muffins
This recipe will make 6 jumbo-sized, streusel-topped blueberry muffins, or if your prefer a smaller muffin, 12 regular-sized.
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1 cup fresh or frozen (unthawed) blueberries
2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- To Make Topping: In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Cut the butter into the mixture with a pastry blender or fork until mixture is crumbly. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Generously grease six 8-ounce jumbo muffin cups.
- If using fresh blueberries, rinse and thoroughly dry the berries. In a small bowl, toss the fresh or frozen berries with the 1 tablespoon flour.
- To Make Batter: In a large bowl, stir together the 2 cups flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Make a well in the center.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg and buttermilk until combined. Whisk in the vanilla and melted butter.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into the well. Stir the liquids,into the dry ingredients until they are almost, but not quite, combined. Add the blueberries and fold in just to distribute evenly. Do not over mix.
- Evenly divide the batter among the 6 prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle the streusel topping evenly over the muffins (about 1/4 cup for each muffin).
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes before removing from pan. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Makes 6 jumbo muffins.
Tip: For 12 regular-sized muffins, reduce the baking time to 20 to 25 minutes, or until tested done.