Luscious, lemon-scented buns topped with a sweet lemon glaze. This recipe uses the dough cycle of a bread machine.
1/2 cup warm water
3/4 cup warm milk
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 large egg
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon lemon extract or 1/4 teaspoon lemon oil
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
4 1/3 cups bread flour
1 (.25-ounce) packet active dry yeast or 2 1/4 teaspoons
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract or 1/4 teaspoon lemon oil
- Place ingredients in bread machine pan in the order suggested by manufacturer.
- Select Dough setting and start machine. Keep a close eye on the process, helping to incorporate all ingredients, if necessary.
- Once cycle is complete, transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface, and divide dough into 20 pieces. Cover the pieces and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Form the dough pieces into balls, and place in two lightly greased 9-inch round baking pans. Cover, and allow the buns to rise for about 1 hour, or until nearly doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Combine glaze ingredients and brush the buns lightly with half of the glaze mixture.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and brush with remaining glaze; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes 20 sweet buns.