Lemon Glazed Pineapple-Cherry Tea Bread
Fragrant, moist and delicious, this festive quick bread is perfect for holiday entertaining and gift-giving.
2/3 cup butter
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
2 large eggs
5 cups all-purpose flour
5 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 (16-ounce) can pineapple chunks, undrained and crushed
1 tablespoon lemon peel, grated
1 (10-ounce) jar maraschino cherries, chopped, reserve liquid
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, cream together butter and cardamom. Beat in eggs one at time.
- In another bowl, sift together and add flour, baking powder, and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Stir in crushed pineapple chunks (undrained), grated lemon peel, chopped maraschino cherries (reserve the liquid), and chopped walnuts. Add water to the reserved cherry juice to make 2 cups. Add to the mixture and divide into two loaf pans.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 55 to 60 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine powdered sugar and lemon juice. Drizzle over the loaves.
Makes 2 loaves.