Long Island Crullers
This plain, but by no means ordinary doughnut, is richer and crustier than a regular buttermilk cake doughnut.
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup cake flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 large eggs plus one extra yolk
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup buttermilk
Vegetable shortening for frying
- Whisk together the flours, baking powder, nutmeg and salt.
- Beat together the eggs, egg yolk, and sugar.
- Add the vanilla, melted butter and milk. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry and chill the dough in the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes to firm up and make handling easier.
- Roll dough then cut it using a doughnut cutter.
- Meanwhile, heat shortening to about 365°F (185°C), not any hotter.
- Fry a few doughnuts at a time for about 2 minutes on each side. Remove with a slotted spoon or spatula and place on paper towels to drain. Continue until all the dough has been fried. When cooled slightly, sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
Makes 18 doughnuts.