Macadamia and Date Muffins
Recipe courtesy of Australian Macadamias.
1 1/2 cups halved, unsalted macadamia nuts
1/2 cup macadamia oil (or substitute cooking oil)
1/2 cup raw (turbinado) sugar (or substitute brown sugar, packed)
2 tablespoons maple syrup
3 large eggs
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
Zest of 2 oranges
2 cups buttermilk
3 1/8 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups untoasted muesli
1 cup chopped, seedless dates
- Spread the nuts out on a baking tray and roast at 325°F (160°C) until golden, about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove and cool on paper towels.
- Combine the oil, sugar, syrup, eggs, fruit juice, zest and buttermilk.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, spices and baking soda. Add the muesli and dates and mix well. Make a hole in the center and stir in the liquid ingredients with a wooden spoon, mixing well to combine.
- Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for one hour before baking to allow ingredients to soften. (Mixture can also be left overnight, covered, in the refrigerator.)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Remove mixture from refrigerator and stir in the nuts. Spoon batter into greased muffin tins.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Makes 15 muffins.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Australian Macadamias.