Melt-In-Your-Mouth Cinnamon Rolls
"With a little help from a boxed yellow cake mix, you will have plenty of time to indulge in these homemade rolls. The recipe doubles easily, and the delicious results freeze well. So make plenty for breakfast and dessert, because these are definitely worth the small amount of time they take!" - Recipe submitted by Jennifer Jackson from Austin, Texas.
1 (.25-ounce) package active dry yeast or 2 1/4 teaspoons
1 1/4 cups warm water - divided use
2 cups yellow cake mix
2 1/2 cups flour - divided use
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For Dough: In small bowl, soften yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. In large mixing bowl, combine cake mix and 1 1/2 cups flour. Add yeast mixture and 1 cup warm water to dry mixture, stirring well. Add enough remaining flour to make dough workable. Cover and let rise in a warm place till doubled, about 1 hour. Meanwhile, prepare 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan by coating the sides and bottom lightly with softened margarine.
- For Filling: Prepare filling by mixing all ingredients well, and refrigerating until needed. Icing may also be prepared now by mixing all ingredients in a bowl and setting aside, at room temperature, until needed. (Icing will be very stiff for spreading onto hot rolls, and the heat will soften it.)
- To Assemble: Roll out dough to about 1/2-inch thickness on a lightly floured cookie sheet, or other surface that can be moved into the refrigerator. Spread the chilled filling mixture evenly onto the dough, all the way to the edges. Move to refrigerator to chill until more workable, about 30 minutes. This is an important step that keeps the rolls intact while cutting. Take cookie sheet out of refrigerator and roll dough tightly jelly roll style from long side to long side. Cut off 1/2-inch thick rolls with a serrated knife and place rolls in prepared pan, with sides touching (usually four rolls per short row). Place pan in warm area and cover; let rise until doubled.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- For Icing: Combine icing ingredients, mixing well, and spread over rolls evenly. Let cool completely, or enjoy warm.
Makes 24 cinnamon rolls.