Moist Tofu Cornbread
Recipe courtesy of The Soyfoods Council.
1 cup cornmeal
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon minced fresh or dried rosemary (optional)
8 ounces firm water-packed tofu, drained
5 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Spray or oil a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and rosemary; mix well.
- In another bowl, squeeze the tofu through your immaculately clean hands until it is the consistency of scrambled eggs. Stir in the oil and 1 cup water. Add this to the dry ingredients and stir just until moistened (the batter will be very dry).
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, and bake until a knife inserted comes out clean, about 45 to 50 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then rap the pan sharply to remove the bread, and cool the bread on a rack for at least another 20 minutes before slicing.
Makes 12 servings.
Note: You can make this recipe in an 8-inch square or round baking pan.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Soyfoods Council.