The morning will seem a little brighter when you have one these tasty oat muffins loaded with dried fruit, grated carrot and crushed pineapple.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup quick or old fashioned oats
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/3 cup raisins, chopped dates, dried cherries or dried cranberries
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup powdered sugar
3 to 4 teaspoons milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°). Line 12 medium muffin cups with paper baking cups or grease bottoms only with vegetable shortening.
- For muffins: In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, raisins, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt, mixing well.
- In a medium bowl, combine pineapple (with juice), carrots, milk, oil and eggs, mixing well. Add to dry ingredients all at once; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not overmix.)
- Fill muffin cups three fourths full.
- Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Cool muffins in pan on wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool 10 minutes.
- For glaze: Combine ingredients in small bowl until smooth. Drizzle over muffins.
- Serve warm.
Makes 12 muffins.