For successful popovers, don't open the oven door and peek before the 15 minute baking time is up. Not one peek!
4 large eggs
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cups milk
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Beat the eggs well, then whisk in half of the flour and half of the milk. repeat with the remaining flour and milk and whisk until the batter is very smooth. This may be done in a food processor or blender as well.
- Whisk or blend in the oil and salt.
- Divide the batter among 12 oiled, non-stick muffin tins. They should be about 2/3 filled.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 450°F (230°C) for 15 minutes. Do not open the oven door during this time!
- Remove the muffin tin from the oven, and serve the popovers warm.
Makes 12 popovers.